For horses in training or recovery, we are lucky to work with a variety of care technologies, each more innovative and effective. We are happy that our horses can enjoy the benefits of Nordian Light Therapy.
What is Light Therapy ?
LED Light Therapy is one way to help the body heal itself. Nordian uses specific wave-lengths of light that are absorbed by a photo acceptor in the cell‘s mitochondria. The energy(photons) of the lights increases the energy within the cell accelerates the healing process.The lights must be of specific wavelengths and delivered at specific doses.
Nordian uses twowavelengths in the Light Therapy Pads: a visible red (660nm) and a near infrared (850nm)wavelength. The use of both – red and near-infraRed Light – is advantageous because thewavelengths are absorbed by different tissue depths.
How does Light Therapy work and why?
There are many impressive studies showing that at certain wavelengths, LEDs increasecirculation by promoting the formation of new capillaries. These new capillaries speed upthe healing process by carrying more oxygen and transporting nutrients needed for healing.More waste products are also removed. Collagen is the most abundant protein in the bodyand the essential one protein used to repair and replace damaged tissue. Studies indicatethat LEDs stimulate the production of collagen. By increasing the production of collagen,less scar tissue is formed at the damaged area.
LED therapy stimulates the release of adenosine triphosphate (ATP). ATP is the main sourceof energy for all cells and provides the chemical energy that the reaction of the cell drives.Increases in ATP allow cells to use nutrients faster and to get rid of waste products fasterby increasing the energy level in the cell. Furthermore, Light Therapy increases the activityof the lymphatic system. Oedemata consists of two basic components: liquid and protein.Research has shown that the diameter of the lymphatic vessels and the flow of the lymphaticsystem through the insert can be doubled by Light Therapy. This means that both parts ofthe oedemata can be eliminated much more quickly to reduce swelling. Visible Red Light(660nm) is very efficiently absorbed by the skin layers and works well for applications suchas stimulating trigger and acupuncture points and treating wounds and infections.
Nearinfrared Light (850nm) penetrates to a deeper level and is used to treat tendons, ligaments,bones, joints and muscles.Near infrared penetrates the skin to a depth of about 8-10mm, making it a beneficialtreatment for numerous diseases and conditions. The treatment also sends signals to thebrain, causing the release of endorphins (natural painkillers) and serotonin (the feel-goodhormone). This physiological chain reaction leads to a number of health benefits, including:
- Pain therapy
- Increase in lymphatic activity
- Strengthening of the immune system
- Increase in antiviral properties
- Stimulation of acupuncture and trigger
- Acceleration of cell regeneration
- Increase in blood flow
- Muscle relaxation and stress reduction
- Shortening of regeneration time
- Prevention of overexertion and injuries
- Reduction of inflammation
- Support of the healing process
- Improved collagen product
What problems/injuries can I use Light Therapy for? – For horses
• General: Arthritis/arthrosis, bursitis,bruising, burns, oedemata, (deep) muscleproblems, hematoma, inflammation,tense muscles and infections
• Hoof problems: hoof abscess/hoof ulcer,bone spurs, inflammation, hoof boneinflammation, osteoarthritis of the footjoint, navicular roll and laminitis
• Leg and body: Bone splinters, cartila-ge degradation from osteoarthritis oroveruse, peripheral nervous systemdisorders, muscle recovery from exerci-se, hock joint problems, inflammation,ligament pain, tendon problems, backpain, muscle injury such as strains andtears, knee problems, connective tissueinjuries, swelling, shoulder pain, hip pain,sore throat , salivary gland problems,wounds, cuts, abrasions and to stimulatetriggers and acupuncture points